Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:53:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rob Garrett <chmod@rock.ghis.net>
To:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strong warning!

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Donald Wilde wrote:

> > http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/columns/0,4351,396531,00.html
> > Down near the bottom, a blurb about Yahoo using FreeBSD.
>
> > Ryan Snedegar                           You like cats too?
> > ryan@positronic.net                     Let's trade recipes!
>
> In this article Ryan pointed me to, there's also a mention of a clause
> in the MS license agreement that prohibits publishing of benchmarks on
> MS products. We are too small to be jackal bait now, so probably nothing
> will come of it, but I would _strongly_suggest_  that any benchmarking
> initiatives be geared towards "here's how you do a live side-by-side"
> rather than doing it and publishing the results. We will be assisting
> UG's in setting up such shootouts and doing them at trade shows, but
> please do not set yourself up for personal liability by publishing the
> results.
>
> --
> Don Wilde                 "Bringing the Internet to everyone!"
> Wilde Media
> 1380 Rio Rancho Blvd. SE #117  voice:      505-771-0709
> Rio Rancho, New Mexico 87124   e-mail:     dwilde1@thuntek.net

Don,

	In regards to your comment about taking me away from the PDP
project, I have time enough for both the web site and the documentaion.

	and as to benchmarks against microsoft software it never has been
my intention of comparing freebsd with nt or 98 my tests are soley against
linux, as to the shootout stuff, the benchmarks that exist now are
extremely lacking in some areas leading to inconclusive results,

	Thats somthing i hope to rectify over the next week.

and once again if I didn't feel that i had enough time to give to the
advocy web stuff I wouldn't of volunteered, this is somthing that t I
really want to be invlolved in

Rob