Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:28:51 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1047922131.f37849@mired.org>
To:        "Jorge Mario G." <list@linopryne.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: why BIND and sendmail installed by default?

In <1598.192.168.0.4.1047484743.squirrel@mail.linopryne.com>, Jorge Mario G. <list@linopryne.com> typed:
> Now I from the sys admin point of view (mine):
> Do I need a DNS server???
> YES, but I usually grab the lastest version, and the default install does
> not suit to our needs...

But it suits a lot of peoples needs.

> Do I need mail server?
> YES, but I dont use sendmail, or I dont like the default install, it doesnt
> suit to our needs etc...

But it suits a lot of peoples needs.

Basically, these are things that have historically been part of BSD,
and have people who are willing to support them in the
distribution. Enough people need that functionality that there's not
much point in ripping them out.

Replacing sendmail is probably impossible because there's no consensus
about what should replace it, and you need something do mail
submission. Just turn off the build and forget it. Replacing BIND with
a later version might be possible, but needs someone willing to do the
work. If you're volunteering, great. If not, just keep on installing
the newer version and ignore the one in the base system.

BTW, they are both in 5.0-RELEASE. It's might be worth pointing out
that some other things - like uucp - have moved to ports.

	<mike