Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 23:14:11 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?

As K.J.Koster wrote:

> Just a few days ago I made a floppy image from a freshly formatted MS-DOS
> floppy ("dd if/dev/fd0.1440 of=msdos.flop")

Oh well.  Not that it must be related to your particular problem, but:

	YOU SHOULD NEVER USE BUFFERED DEVICES UNLESS YOU ARE GOING
	TO MOUNT(2) A FILESYSTEM OVER IT.

Please, people, hammer this sentence into your head.  I'm in great
sorry that Linux doesn't offer you raw devices, but for all the Unix
systems that offer it, NEVER use buffered devices for raw floppy
access.  I'm sick of repeating the reasons for why not to do this,
please re-read the mailing list archives.

--
cheers, J"org