Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 10:06:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@palisadesys.com>
To:        Jahanur R Subedar <jahanur@jjsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to find the time....

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Jahanur R Subedar wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I am trying to find the time of when a particular command was executed.
> We ussually use c shell and the history command only tells the what
> command was executed. It is important for us to find the time of a
> particular user when it was executed. Is there any log file foruser
> activity or this kind.
> Or Is there anyway to find this?

If you have process accounting enabled (accounting="YES" in /etc/rc.conf),
each program executed is logged in the binary file /var/account/acct
(which is automatically rotated dailiy).  Information in the acct file may
be listed with the lastcomm(1) command.

Note that the information may not be as trustworthy as it appears.  For
example, a user may create a symbolic link pointing to a program, and the
program name recorded in lastcomm will be the name of the link, not that
name of the actual program executed.

Guy

--
Guy Helmer, Ph.D.