Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:04:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Aaron Clow <aaronc@atari.cmj.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?P=E5l_Sommerhein?= <paalsom@ifi.uio.no>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need advice on what motherboard to pick (and SCSI controller + drive)

Just a suggestion, Doug...

I have a Tyan motherboard at home with onboard SCSI and it works
great under FreeBSD (similar motherboard is used by Walnut Creek). It has
the LX chipset, but I believe they have a new motherboard with the BX. I
only have one processor in it right now, but I plan to add another.

The onboard SCSI motherboards are more expensive, but then so is adding a
SCSI card to a motherboard that doesn't have one. However, as someone else
pointed out, you have upgrade options if you go the latter route.

One of the best things about Tyan is they seem to have more PCI slots than
anyone else out there.

The motherboard I have is a jumpered motherboard, which I like. It was a
snap to set up, and everything worked fine without a hitch. Tyan has been
very good about updating the BIOS when necessary as well (plus, I'm a fan
of AMIBIOS, which is included, but you can also use Award if you like).

Also, if you're going UWSCSI on the hard drive, I would highly suggest the
Seagate Cheetah (10,000RPM - 4.5GB or 9.1GB). I love mine to death and
access time is FAST.

I also use a Smart & Friendly CD-R (SCSI).

All in all, I couldn't be happier with everything. My roommate just bought
a system (Tyan-based) from VA Research (www.varesearch.com). They put
together Linux-based systems. He loves his as well...

Just my $.02

Aaron