Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:48:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      admin <admin@crimelords.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Openssh btwn linux/bsd..

I ran into an issue (from only one slackware box) with S/Key
authentication, wondered if anyone else sees this.  The owner of the other
box sent the question to openssh and the following is the answer..

> The above version of OpenSSH seems to work fine most of the time, but
>when
> I connect to one server in particular I get a very odd looking login
> prompt:
>
> pts/0::mugz!xm[~] ssh -l mugz <host-name-omitted>
> otp-md5 414 cr6003 ext
> S/Key Password:
> otp-md5 265 cr4395 ext
> S/Key Password:
> otp-md5 332 cr9989 ext
> S/Key Password:
> user@host-name-omitted password:
>
> I enter my password 3 times in a row at this prompt, and then i get a
> "normal" login prompt and can login, whats up with this?

ssh -o preferredauthentications=password

This is (at least) caused by the fact that FreeBSD people have broken all
setups without skey in use.  It happened a few months ago with their FTP
daemon, now it's happening with sshd.

The freebsd is running :
  SSH Version OpenSSH_2.3.0 FreeBSD localisations 20010713, protocol
versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090601f).

The slack box is running :
  OpenSSH_3.0.2p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090601f

Just a heads up if your users start asking about this, plus wanted to see
if anyone had come across this before?

--emacs