Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 10:39:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        freebsd-stable
Subject:   ipfw comments

i want to able to filter on both incoming and outgoing interfaces.
        if0 is accounting
        if1 is engineering
        if2 is marketing

        no traffic from marketing to engineering
        allow traffic from engineering to marketing
        allow traffic from marketing to accounting
        allow traffic from accounting to marketing
        allow traffic from accounting to engineering
        allow traffic from engineering to marketing

        this can be done using ip addresses (or ranges)
        but specifying interfaces is easier, and i wont let me forget any
        (sub)nets

        it does not seems to be possible to filter on both interfaces from
        the strawman.   this may be a real bear to implement in the kernel
        only after the route is chosen can the rule be applied.  the packet has
        to carry around information regarding which interface it arrived on.
        (ugh.)

warning the following may be just "persnickitiness" on my part.

actions:
        it is implied that all actions are mutually exclusive.  "count"
        could be combined with any of the other actions.  should state
        mall actions are mutually exclusive.

count action:
        strawman says "counters are updated, but the rule doesnt match
        the packet, and the next rule is tried."   man page says "update
        counters for all packets that match rule.  The search continues
        with the next rule."

        this confuses me.  i guess that "but the rule doesnt match" means
        that "count" is never the last rule applied.   "rules are applied in
        numerical order until one of them matches the packet"  implying that
        once a match occurs ipfw applies the actions specified in that rule
        and stops processing that packet.  we dont want "count" to be a
        terminal rule, so it must not match, ever.  this exception
        is needed because "count" cant be combined with any other action.

        should ipfw be changed to allow "count" to combine with any other
        action?  we would then need a "continue" action to let us count
        all packets of a general type, some of which we will later drop,
        others we will accept.

        on the external interface:
        i want to count all inbound nnrp (but continue processing rules)
        i want to accept and count inbound nnrp from allowed news readers
        i want to drop, cound and log all other nnrp packets

        should should "count" be a modifier like "syslog"?  not an action
        like "accept".

--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/