Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:41:28 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
Subject:   Re: Checking reasons for changes made during CVSup

On Thu, Aug 13, 1998 at 01:52:06PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> I'm trying to find out how to see the commit message for any given
> change to the source tree, when all I know about the change is what I
> get from CVSup, e.g.:
>
> Edit src/gnu/usr.bin/ld/ld.1
>  Add delta 1.12.2.4 98.07.26.04.13.21  jkoshy

If you're downloading the *full* CVS archive (and not just a version of
the files at a particular point in time) then you can use the command

    % cvs log filename

which will show you the log of changes made to that filename. You can also
do

    % cvs log ld.1

for example.

You can use 'cvs diff' to see the differences between different versions;

    % cvs diff -r 1.12.2.3 -r 1.12.2.4 ld.1

would show you exactly what changes were made.

If you don't have the full CVS repository, you can use the CVS web
interface at <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi>.

For example,

    <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld/ld.1>;

--+==[ Nik Clayton becomes Just Another Perl Contractor in 30 days. ]==+--