Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 14:43:58 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, arch@FreeBSD.org, sjr@home.net
Subject:   Re: sysctl on boot.

In message <200009172034.e8HKYk525175@green.dyndns.org> "Brian F. Feldman" writes:
: IOW, it would add complexity but not gain anything that postponing rc.sysctl
: or adding a secondary rc wouldn't gain.  So I wouldn't bother with that :)
: You're making it seem like we need a registry.  I'd be a million times
: happier if a kldload(2) specified a hints file that could be used easily.

I've often thought about adding a sysctl.x.x.x facility like the
hint.x.x.x facility, but haven't ad the time.

I don't think there are any non-idempotent sysctls that people would
be setting from rc.sysctl.  However, I think I'm leaning towards
a second parameter to /etc/rc.sysctl.  The first one would be
/etc/sysctl.conf and the second would be /etc/sysctl.modules.conf over
the short term.

I still think there's value in having a more persistant sysctl
facility in the kernel, but will leave that for later.

Warner