Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 2008 21:23:58 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Tim Kellers <timothyk@wallnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd general questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: silicon Graphics hardware

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 12:48:37PM -0400, Tim Kellers wrote:
> I googled a bit this morning and, except for some old (Freebsd 4.x)
> posts, I didn'r see anything terribly relevant, but does FreeBSD run on
> any Silicon Graphics hardware?  I've heard that (maybe) an Ubuntu
> distro _might_ run if the hardware was booted/configged with the Irix
> Foundations disks.  The Information Systems department where I work is
> aswim in some SGI hardware that they'd like to relocate and reclaim the
> space, so I'm looking for alternatives to repurpose the hardware.  Since
> I know FreeBSD better than any flavor of Linux, I'm looking for a BSD
> solution, first.
>
> I don't, yet, have the Foundations Irix disks, so I'm looking for any
> alternative I can find.

FreeBSD does not (AFAIK) run on any Silicon Graphics machines.
NetBSD is however capable of running on several Silicon Graphics machines,
so you might take a look at that and see if it supports the particular
hardware you have (it probably does, but no guarantees.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson