Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:29:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dirk Kleinhesselink <dkleinh@phy.ucsf.EDU>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0-RELEASE install error: can't find init

I cannot install 4.0 RELEASE on my PC164:  I burned a copy of the updated
ISO image put out the other day.  My system has 2 ide disks on the primary
IDE channel, an IDE cdrom on the 2nd IDE channel, a dual channel Qlogic
1040 UW SCSI/Ethernet PCI combo card from an AlphaStation 5/266 with an
IBM 18GB UW disk on SCSI bus 0 and a Toshiba CD-ROM on SCSI bus 1.  IDE
disk one has NT on it, IDE disk two has Linux RedHat 6.1 on it -- I've
installed SRM and the SCSI disk has OpenVMS on it.  The system boots up
fine from the 4.0 CD (in the SCSI cdrom).  I have to interrupt the boot
process and set the parameter: set isp_map_mem=0xff  in order for the
probing of the SCSI controller to go, as per discussions I had with this
group trying to run the 4.0 release candidate.  Setting this gets me to
the start of the install screen, but then the system halts with a message:
can't find my init... going nowhere

At which point the system reboots.  Someone said there was an option to
give the kernel telling it what device to mount for root, but they weren't
sure of the syntax - something like: set vfs.mountroot=device

I've booted my system off the install CD -- why can't the kernel find the
root filesystem ?  Or if I need to tell it where to find root for the
install, what would I tell it ?

Thanks for any help.

Dirk