Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 20:06:16 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to set fxp0 to half-duplex? [was: nfs tuning]

>> I never trust auto-sensing. Tell both ends what they are configured for.
>
>Good advice, but when problems occur, try turning off auto-sensing.  We've
>got a 10/100Mbit switch in the office that if you hook up a computer
>that doesn't auto-sense but forces 100Mbit, either full or half duplex,
>the throughput drops into the 10-50KB/sec range.
>
>Of course, in this case, the advice can't be exactly followed, because the
>switch can only auto-sense, it can't be configured.

Yuk.  What kind of switch is that ? i.e. where you are not allowed to
configure it to various connection modes ?

So far, I have had great luck with Catalyst and HP switches with the fxps.
They are of course fully configurable and managed and work well in Half and
Full Duplex modes at 10 and 100.

	---Mike