Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 2002 21:06:03 -0500
From:      Hiten Pandya <hiten@angelica.unixdaemons.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bluetooth

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 04:05:51AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote the words in effect of:
> "M. Warner Losh" wrote:
> > I'd go one step farther.  I'd say that it would be insane to have more
> > than one bluetooth stack for FreeBSD.  I'd go farther and say that it
> > would be insane to have more than one bluetooth stack for *BSD.
> > Bluetooth is too big and specailized for there to be much benefit in
> > competing stacks.
>
> I'll go further... it's insane to have more than one Bluetooh stack
> period.
>
> Are people actively trying to ignore the example of the success of
> TCP/IP, or what?
>

> > I mean look how far the multiple ATM stacks got us.  It was a dump
> > idea to have more than one in the system, and now both aren't very
> > supported.  People had to beg and plead to get the drivers updated,
> > and only one of the two stacks survived (if I read my commit mail
> > correctly).
>
> I think this had more to do with ATM sucking, more than anything
> else.  I note that NetBEUI isn't supported, even though there was
> a full stack written by MITRE for FreeBSD, and that X.25 and OSI
> both have very poor support in FreeBSD, ever since they were both
> orphaned by the routing code not being updated in those stacks at
> the same time it was updated in the TCP/IP stack.
>
> So ATM isn't really a good negative example for multiple stacks,
> as much as it's a negative example for useful protocol design.
>

> > And look at OLDCARD and NEWCARD.  When both were being worked on, both
> > suffered.  OLDCARD got all the bug fixes and new features for a while
> > when we'd be more ahead today if I'd ported NEWCARD to -stable and
> > pc98 instead.  Having two implementations there was more of a
> > liability than an asset I sometimes think.
>
> Again, I think the problem with both of them has been a serious
> lack of documentation, more than anything else.  The Bus Space
> code is another good example of code that's not documented well
> enough for people to use it usefully, or FreeBSD would already
> support more than 2G of memory on Alpha systems.
>
> The problem there is more one of letting replacement code into
> the kernel, without replacement documentation for the new code
> that at least matches the documentation for the old code.

I am not sure how right my answer is, but if someone really wanted to
know about bus_space(9), than they can just look it up the NetBSD
manual page.  It is very well documented, and not a whole lot if
different.  In fact, I had started some work to port the manual page
to FreeBSD about 5 weeks ago, and then stopped because of studies.

If you are interested in ongoing work:
http://www.unixdaemons.com/~hiten/work/diffs/netbsd-bus_space.9

Cheers.

--