Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2014 10:29:38 +0200
From:      Sergey Danilishin <nbspjr@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   mp3 playback broken in i386-wine package?

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to play TES IV: Oblivion under Wine (installed from a repo
according to this HOWTO: https://wiki.freebsd.org/i386-Wine ).

Everything seems worked pretty good, except the sound: music didn't play at
all while all the other sounds were causing insane noise and distortion.
I've googled that it happens sometimes under linux too, but none of the
suggested workarounds actually worked. After downgrading wine to version
prior 1.6, distortions gone, but music still didn't work. Just a little
note: in vanilla Oblivion most sounds/voices are in WAV format, while music
is encoded as MP3.

As far as I know, the WineHQ team remoped native mp3 library from Wine
distribution in favor to external mpg123 library. I was curious what
happens if I get that library back. So, when I did this, music started
working in Oblivion. Then I installed the most recent i386-wine from the
repository mentioned above and distortions actually gone: both music and
sounds work correctly.

Is there any chance that the i386-wine package is built without mpg123
support, i.e. having flat --without-mpg123 ? Please let me know if you need
more info.

Also, here is how I installed mp3 codecs to wine.

1. winetricks wmp9 (just to get l3codeca.acm file)
2. cd ~/wine/drive_c/windows/system32 && ln -s l3codeca.acm winemp3.acm
3. winetricks devenum quartz (in case if you don't have these overrides yet)