Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 12:02:16 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Cloud <ashtray1@home.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD with IBM ServeRaid II on a Netfinity 5500

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 02:02:38PM -0500, Cloud <ashtray1@home.com> wrote:

> I am in the process of ordering a IBM Netfinity server 5500, and i will
> be running freebsd.
> The server has on-board IBM Serverraid II raid controller, which uses
> the AIC-7880P adaptec chipset. I see that freebsd supports the 7895
> chipset, and the two are very similar (the 7895 supports ultra2wide
> scsi, the 7880 only wide scsi).
>
> I am wondering if the 7880P will be detected during the install, or
> generally if this chipset will work under FreeBSD. IBM tells me it works

IBM ServeRaid controllers isn't supported I'm afraid :( Yes there are
some Adaptec chips integrated onto motherboard but there's also one
PowerPC processor which plays important role, so I don't believe
FreeBSD is able to use the onboard Adaptec chip. Actually, I don't
know, but I have two NetFinity 5500 laying around here and maybe I
can boot one of them in the evening with FreeBSD. Both of them run
LoseNT, ick.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee