Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 16:48:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dan@wolf.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Applications under X running out of memory?

I asked this question a week or two ago and got a couple
of suggestions, but none of the suggestions I have received
seem to do the trick.

I'm running FreeBSD-2.2.6 on a P150 with 64 MB RAM. My hard
drive is set up with a 256 MB swap partition and a couple
of GB of file system space.  I'm running WindowMaker for
my window manager.  When I run Netscape Navigitor 3 I
am able to receive mail just fine, but when I try to send
mail I get an error message telling me "Netscape is out
of memory.  Try quiting some other applications or closing
some windows".  When this happens I usually have one of two
xterms open with Netscape.  Just for chuckles I've also tried
it without any xterms open - nothing running but Netscape and
the window manager.

Seems kind of unlikely that I would have actually run out of
memory - top says I've got 177M free swap space, and says
"Mem: 29M Active, 14M Inact, 12M Wired, 4972K Cache, 7639K Buf,
544K Free".  I'm not sure what the "Wired" and "Inact" counts
mean.

So help me understand here - am I truly running out of memory,
or do I have something misconfigured somewhere?

D. Mahoney
dmahoney@pe.net