Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:45:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        k4n _ <k4n@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD webdesign

k4n _ wrote:

> I thought maybe you would be interested in a free website redesign(or
> something) so I downloaded the HTML for your site, and made a few changes. I
> made the background black, redid the FreeBSD logo slightly, and darkened the
> logos at the bottom to match the color scheme. If you are interested I can
> send you a copy, I think it looks pretty cool. See you later

Why do people always assume that dark is cool. The purpose of a website
is to convey information. That means good readability, not looks. Whereas
beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, readability assuredly does not.
Barring the by now ancient amber CRT phosphor colors most research
shows that black on white (note the order) is best readable.

The FreeBSD site is emminently readable, whereas the old freshmeat site
was not. In fact with my previous monitor's settings I couldn't even
read that site without upping the brightness (I'm a programmer, for
text high contrast is needed contrary to the high brightness for graphics
work). Clearly I was not alone in that they changed to a much
brighter color scheme. As well as black"er" on white lettering.

> (i just realized how dumb this letter sounds, but hey its 8:30 in the
> morning what do you expect)

It's always 8.30 in the morning someplace. B.t.w. you send it to general
lists, maybe it would be better to send it directly to the webmaster.

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.