Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:36:04 +0200
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Dinesh Nadarajah <dinesh_list@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Howto find packages

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 09:55:49AM -0700, Dinesh Nadarajah wrote:
> I guess what FreeBSD needs is a good port of the apt system Should not
> be difficult. It can let pkg_xxx do all the installing etc. Would be
> cool if one existed :)

Packages should work normaly, but can give some trouble afther you
update. There is a port called portupgrade which has the same goal as
the Debian apt system. You are better of using this if you like to
upgrade you installed packages. Packages however can stil be a problem.
Debian handels packages better.

Its likly that using packages isn't that high on the agenda since
installing application by compiling isn't that hard to do with the ports
system.

i.e.    cd /usr/port/www/mozilla; make install && make clean
or      portinstall www/mozilla

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: