Date:      Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:29:08 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quota problems

In the last episode (Mar 09), Skylar Thompson said:
> I'm having some problems getting quotas enabled on a FreeBSD
> 4.11-RELEASE box. I already have quotas enabled on two filesystems,
> and need to extend that to a third (presently unquota'd) filesystem.
> I added "userquota,groupquota" to the line in /etc/fstab for the
> filesystem, touched the files quota.user and quota.group, and
> rebooted. The sytem came back up fine, but hung after a few minutes
> of normal activity. I rebooted, and the same thing happened. Turning
> of the quotas on just that filesystem solved the problem. Has anyone
> else had problems like this?

The entire system hung how?  Did the cursor stop flashing?  If you
switch to another vty and try to log in, does it let you enter your
username and then hang?  If so, hit ^T and tell us what's in the square
brackets.

Also, running "quotacheck /filesystem" is a better way to create the
quota files than touching them.  It ensures that existing files on the
filesystem are correctly accounted for.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com