Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:21:59 +0300
From:      Dmitrij Tejblum <dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, jbryant@unix.tfs.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merging win95 and nt filesystem changes into msdosfs

Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > There's no one who currently "owns" MSDOSFS, that's why, and no one to
> > > do the work of integrating changes from NetBSD or any other OS.  Any
> > > volunteers?
> >
> > Me.
>
> Please apply my nami/nameifree patches before attempting this.

Where can I gen them?

> If you
> do not, the resulting created long file names will not be usable from
> Windows95.  Specifically, 4DOS get a short name list, and then goes back
> and requests the long names given the short names.

Well, I don't use 4DOS, and believed that created long file names are ok.
Scandisk doesn't report any problems also. How 4DOS can have problems? Doesn't
it use standard DOS or Windows syscalls?

> [problems with locales]

This is indeed a big headache for me. I have several files with Russian
filenames, and msdosfs doesn't do something minimally correct with them
at all. So I am interested to look at your code. But I believe that in the
meantime something working in real life is already useful.

Dima