Date:      Thu, 27 May 2004 08:38:27 -0400
From:      "Lee Dilkie" <lee@dilkie.com>
To:        "'Richard Stevenson'" <richard@endace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: SMTP AUTH

Wow, that responsive? The only hitch is that office 2K is my last =
version of office (as win2K is my last version of a MS OS that'll I'll =
buy).

It was a challange to cover all the bases, between outlook [express] and =
others (Kmail, Evolution...) I have running:

25 - smtp (with or w/o auth), w/STARTTLS
587 - MSA (auth SMTP), w/ STARTTLS
465 - smtps (with or w/o auth), SSL
110 - pop3, w/STARTTLS
*996 (not 995!) - pop3s, SSL
143 - imap (don't think that supports STARTTLS)
993 - imaps, SSL

I'm using qpopper for pop3 and imap-uw for imap and sendmail for the =
rest. I installed cyrus-sasl to provide decent password protection on =
the non-ssl'ed connections.

*996 instead of 995... this was a wierd one. Outlook normally defaults =
to port 995 if one selects "use SSL" but when I configured qpopper to =
use SSL on 995 the negotation would fail. If i changed ports, it =
succeeded. I think I know what happened and that I could probably get it =
to work on 995 but I haven't had the time to work on it.

I config Outlook to use SSL on ports 465 and either 996(pop3) or =
993(imap). Kmail and such use 587(MSA) and 110/993 as they support =
STARTTLS.
=20
If anyone is interested in the relevant bits of inetd/sendmail/qpopper =
config files, just shout.

-lee