Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:33:32 -0500
From:      rl@overlypub.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   file in use?

I have a perl program to read/process a text file.  Basically it is an
infinite loop that sleeps for 5 seconds. If the perl program wakes up and
finds a file, it works it.

My first question is: In the event of a slow ftp upload, how can I make
perl wait until the file is done?  As far as I can tell, ftpd does not lock
the file while it is being uploaded.

Second question: How can I have this script run automatically at startup?
If there is a problem, I want the script to quit, so I don't want to use
cron.  I tried an entry in rc.local but I don't think that is right either.
Are there any other options besides these two?