Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 22:38:46 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        steve@news.cioe.com (Steven Ames)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI/Tape problem?

As Steven Ames wrote...

> I'm encountering a problem that I just can't seem to solve.
> I have a FreeBSD system that I've been using to backup my
> network for quite a while. It is using an Adaptec 2940 card
> and an Exabyte 8205 tape backup. I'm using 'amanda' to do
> the backups onto 160M tapes. Alrighty...
>
> A while back the system started to lock up during the backup
> process. Also the command 'mt erase' would never terminate.

You might run into some timeout situation. I have an (admittedly
somewhat older) 8200 drive and it takes ages to do an erase.

> I tried a different controller (still an Adaptec 2940). Same
> results. Different cable, no change. Different tape drive
> (Exabyte 8700XL), same results.
>
> Today I built a 2.1.7-RELEASE machine and tried it there.
> Similar results. The 'mt erase' command generates a lot of
> errors and eventually causes a reboot.
>
> I need a solution ASAP as I'm not getting backups until
> things work. I've also tried this on a 3.0-CURRENT (1/7/98)
> machine... same results as the 2.2.5 platform.

Why not omit the 'mt erase' altogether? The drive will erase your
tape anyhow when you start writing to it from BOT.

Wilko
---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --