Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:12:00 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'uname -p' & wrong CPU

On 1999-Oct-29 09:49:46 +1000, Randall Hopper wrote:
>Do you know the correct way is for software to inquire about the CPU
>installed?

sysctl hw.model

What more do you want to know about it?  From memory there's been some
discussion about how to report CPU features (probably via an
additional sysctl), but I'm not sure what's happened.  There's nothing
in -current yet, so it'll be a while before there's anything in
-stable.

>FWIW, I have an AMD K6-III, though FreeBSD doesn't know it.
Probably because there's nothing in the kernel that needs to know.

There's code in src/sys/i386/i386/identcpu.c in -current to
recognize the K6-III.

Peter