Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 09:54:45 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Keith Woodworth <kwoody@citytel.net>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   bash (was: rlog)

On Tue, 14 April 1998 at 23:37:54 -0700, Keith Woodworth wrote:

> ok whats rlog? I read the man pages and i sort of see what it does but
> not really.

I wonder.  It's so far from what you think it is that you must have
different man pages.

rlog displays the log entries of the RCS source code revision control
system.  Unless you're a programmer writing large projects, you don't
need it.

> Basically I have a shell account on a bsdi system and when I log in my
> shell is rlog, but its bash really.

rlog isn't a shell.  You might be confusing it with rlogin, a program
which establishes a network connection.  But your question sounds like
a bash question.

> I want to setup some stuff to customize my prompt etc but nothing I seem
> to do under .bash_profile or .profile seem to work. I have copied over
> the stuff I use on my FbSD machines but guess there is a system wide
> config file that sets things up but dont know what it might be or if I
> can even change them.
>
> anyone have an answer? I know its bsdi but I figure it is a *bsd question..?

It's a UNIX question.  Try putting them in .bashrc.

Greg