Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:52:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      bartequi@inwind.it
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/24662: correct management of sources with cvsup(1)

>Number:         24662
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       too many questions about source management bloat freebsd lists
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

Stale files may cause users a number of problems. The role and
importance of cvsup's checkouts file(s) seems to be widely ignored, as
well the existence of such utilities as cvsupchk.

>How-To-Repeat:

Read -questions for a while...

>Fix:

Moooo! I have written far too many times to freebsd lists on the subject :-)

A reference to J.Polstra's cvsup FAQ should be made and/or emphasized in
the existing documentation (handbook and/or cvsup(1) and/or FreeBSD FAQ);
in this connection, explicit specific examples might be helpful.

Also, cvsupchk should be mentioned as a useful tool for correct source
management.

I wrote a few public letters, as well as several private ones covering
the following topics:

--  correctly updating one's sources via cvsup for the first time;
--  switching one's sources from tag A to tag B;
--  correctly updating one's ports tree for the first time.

If anybody is interested in this material, I will be glad to submit it
for revision -- as plain text, for the time being.