Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 15:48:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Linh Pham <question@closedsrc.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/45843: sysutils/3dm - needs to detect and create /dev/twe0 if not found

>Number:         45843
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       sysutils/3dm - needs to detect and create /dev/twe0 if not found
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical

I installed the I installed the sysutils/3dm port on a freshly installed FreeBSD
system (as well as on a system updated to 4.7-RELEASE-p2) and it complained
that twe0 was not configured the daemon would not respond to requests, even
though the daemon was indeed running on the system.

The device in the system is a 3Ware 7000-2 with the latest firmware revision.

This problem was reproduced on two systems that have identical hardware and
software builds.

>How-To-Repeat:

Install sysutils/3dm on a system with a 3Ware RAID controller that does not
have the twe0 device created under /dev, then start the daemon by running:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/3dmd.sh

>Fix:

make install needs to detect if /dev/twe0 exists, if not, then either notify
the user that /dev/twe0 needs to be created and provides the following command
to create the device node:

cd /dev ; sh MAKEDEV twe0

Or create the device node and notify the user that it did so.