Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 18:32:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   User PPP/PAP/static IP help

I have a customer for whom I wish to provide a PPP dialup connection under
2.2-STABLE. The requirements are a bit different than the handbook
examples, and I *think* I have most of it working, but if somebody could
give me a quick sanity check, I'd appreciate it.

User's requirement:

	Private line, owns modem
	I provide him with a static IP and name service (.100)
	He wants to call up with Win95 using PAP

Network basics:

	Internet <-> FRAD <-> FBSD <-> User
	               .1       .9     .100

I've enabled the kernel gateway option and added a tun0 device. I
installed mgetty. The modem is connected to COM1. Most of the details of
how I've configured it are from the handbook (more or less):

---- /etc/ttys
cuaa0	"/usr/local/sbin/mgetty"	unknown on insecure

---- /usr/local/etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.conf
/AutoPPP/  -	-	/etc/ppp/ppp-pap-dialup

---- /etc/ppp/ppp-pap-dialup
#!/bin/sh

TTY=`tty`
IDENT=`basename $TTY`
exec /usr/sbin/ppp -direct pap$IDENT

---- /etc/ppp/ppp/conf
default:
 set Log phase lcp chat
 set timeout 0
 set login

papcuaa0:
 enable pap
 set ifaddr xxx.xxx.xxx.9 xxx.xxx.xxx.100 255.255.255.255
 enable proxy
 enable passwdauth

---- /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup
papcuaa0:
 add 0 0 HISADDR

----

Everything seems to be okay - the modem answers, PAP works and the user
can ping anywhere and I can ping him from this network. The syslog
entries, though, shows:

Feb  5 17:41:52 Rigel routed[62]: IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP ALLHOSTS: Address
 already in use
Feb  5 17:41:52 Rigel routed[62]: setsockopt(IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP RIP):
 Address already in use
Feb  5 17:41:52 Rigel routed[62]: punt RTM_ADD without gateway
Feb  5 18:04:15 Rigel routed[62]: interface tun0 to xxx.xxx.xxx.9 turned off

I have no way of checking if the REST of the world will see the user's
correct address, however - will this work?

The other oddity is that I've enabled seperate logging, as:

---- /etc/syslog.conf
!ppp
*.*	/var/log/ppp.log

And that was working (found/fixed a lot of problems) except after I
deleted the file - now all the info gets logged in the main message file
instead. Creating a new /var/log/ppp.log by touching it results in it
staying a 0-byte file. Killing PPP and/or restarting init seem to make no
difference. How did I break the log?

Thanks in advance!

-Dave