Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:03:14 -0700
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Evan Leibovitch on BSD

At 12:34 PM -0600 6/12/01, Brett Glass wrote:
>The article at
>
>http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2772296,00.html
>
>subtly suggests that there must be something wrong with BSD's philosophy
>or licensing because GPLed software (in particular, Linux, KDE, etc.) is
>the focus of more and more prominent startups. (Needless to say, as someone
>who has a strong vested interest in Linux, he's not exactly unbiased.) It's
>probably worth setting him straight in in the TalkBack.

Actually, I think he raises an interesting point.  IBM surely knows about
BSD; why, then, are they spending $2B or so on Linux.  Part of the issue
could be that Linux has mindshare, but I'm not sure that's the whole of
it.  I wonder, in particular, whether IBM is concerned that going with the
university-style license might allow M$ to "embrace and extend" their work.

-r
--
email: rdm@cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm - home page, resume, etc.