Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 23:14:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
To:        Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cable download varies w/FreeBSD

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Bhishan Hemrajani wrote:

> P.S I am in a very new area, so the connections here are really good.
> The only bad part is that they cap upstream to 256kilobits/sec, wrather
> than the no caps that I've seen in other areas.

That may be the case. I am also in a low use area. I'm not sure which
cable service you have but AT&T installs a hardware governer in the cable
box outside of your house. This governer is designed to filter digital
cable to the TV and Internet access at your cable modem and keep the
signals organised (so they say). It also has another purpose, to limit
your downstream to 1.5Mbits/sec. The AT&T neighborhood nodes are 4.5Mbit
pipes which gets shared out to everyone in your neighborhood who also has
the 1.5 governer installed.

If you're using another service besides AT&T I wouldn't know how they're
handling people sucking up all the bandwidth from the neighborhood node.
But I can assure you that you do have some kind of governer on your line
to keep you under the "speed limit" :)

I didn't mention in the earlier response that this was form AT&T
Residential service. Commercial would be a whole different story.

David
Software Eng. - NetManage
Work email: david.daugherty@netmanage.com
Home email: doc@wcug.wwu.edu