Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:37:19 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
Cc:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Co=EFdan?=  =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= ), Timo Geusch <freebsd@timog.prestel.co.uk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS & SLICE?

>It's not my PR but I think the correction is simple:  Put the two
>functions (scsi_start_stop and scsi_read_write I think were their
>names) in a file named something like scsi_common.c, header file
>scsi_common.h, remove them from scsi_da.c and scsi_da.h and then
>add it to sys/conf/files to be included for cd and da device
>entries in the kernel configuration.

If we decide to move them, they should go in scsi_all.c.  I'm just not sure
that they should be moved.  The two functions are not common to all
devices.  They are common to direct access devices (i.e. defined in section
9 of the SCSI2 spec). CDROMs are a superset of direct access devices, so
they require the DA files to be compiled in as well.  I'll see if config
will allow us to add a second dependency on the da files based on the cd
driver.  I believe that the generic peripheral driver error handler also
makes use of scsi_start_stop if the device encountering an error is a
direct access or cdrom device.  I'll have to check.

--
Justin