Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 17:01:06 -0200
From:      Fred Souza <fred@storming.org>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux networking emulation broken?

--FkmkrVfFsRoUs1wW

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

> Are you running 5.0-RELEASE or -current? If -current, when did you
> last rebuild your kernel? Some changes were made to the linux network
> emulation in the last few days. I was testing them and didn't notice
> any problems like this, but I may have missed something.

  Sorry for not mentioning it in that last e-mail. Here's my `uname -a`:
 =20
  FreeBSD torment.storming.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Thu
  Feb  6 05:11:34 BRST 2003
  cseg@torment.storming.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/torment  i386

  (Currently BRST =3D=3D GMT-2, the source tree had been cvsup'd right
  before the building of the kernel)
 =20
  I'm also attaching my kernel config file, in case it should help at
  all.

  Fred

--=20
"Q:      What's tan and black and looks great on a lawyer?
 A:      A doberman."

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

#
# torment -- Torment's kernel configuration file for FreeBSD5/i386
#

machine		i386
cpu		I586_CPU
ident		TORMENT
maxusers	0

# NO_MEMORY_HOLE is an optimisation for systems with AMD K6 processors
# which indicates that the 15-16MB range is *definitely* not being
# occupied by an ISA memory hole.
#
options		NO_MEMORY_HOLE

# MAXMEM specifies the amount of RAM on the machine; if this is not
# specified, FreeBSD will first read the amount of memory from the CMOS
# RAM, so the amount of memory will initially be limited to 64MB or 16MB
# depending on the BIOS.  If the BIOS reports 64MB, a memory probe will
# then attempt to detect the installed amount of RAM.  If this probe
# fails to detect >64MB RAM you will have to use the MAXMEM option.
# The amount is in kilobytes, so for a machine with 128MB of RAM, it would
# be 131072 (128 * 1024).
#
options 	MAXMEM="(256*1024)"

options 	INET			#InterNETworking
options 	FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options 	SOFTUPDATES		#Enable FFS soft updates support
options		UFS_ACL			#Support for access control lists
options		UFS_DIRHASH		#Improve performance on big directories
options 	MD_ROOT			#MD is a potential root device
options 	MSDOSFS			#MSDOS Filesystem
options 	CD9660			#ISO 9660 Filesystem
options 	PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		PSEUDOFS		#Pseudo-filesystem framework
options 	COMPAT_43		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options		COMPAT_FREEBSD4		#Compatible with FreeBSD4
options		COMPAT_LINUX		#Linux binary compatability
options 	SCSI_DELAY=0		#Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options 	KTRACE			#ktrace(1) support
options 	SYSVSHM			#SYSV-style shared memory
options 	SYSVMSG			#SYSV-style message queues
options 	SYSVSEM			#SYSV-style semaphores
options 	_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options 	KBD_INSTALL_CDEV	# install a CDEV entry in /dev

# Scheduler to use.
options		SCHED_4BSD

# The following options have been commented out for forcing the system to use
# their benefits as modules.
#
#options 	MFS			#Memory Filesystem

# ISA & PCI controllers.
#
device		isa
device		pci

# Audio support.
#
device		pcm

# Floppy drives
#
device		fdc

# Specify floppy devices

# ATA and ATAPI devices
#
device		ata
device		atadisk			# ATA disk drives
device		atapicd			# ATAPI CDROM drives
options 	ATA_STATIC_ID		#Static device numbering

# SCSI controller and supported devices
#device		aic
#device		scbus		# SCSI bus (required)
#device		cd		# CD

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
#
device		atkbdc
device		atkbd

# Video card driver for VGA adapters.
device		vga

# AGP GART support
device		agp

# To include support for VESA video modes
#
options         VESA

# splash screen/screen saver
#
device		splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
#
device		sc
options		MAXCONS=16
options		SC_HISTORY_SIZE=4096	# number of history buffer lines
options		SC_PIXEL_MODE		# add support for the raster text mode
options		SC_DFLT_FONT		# compile font in
makeoptions     SC_DFLT_FONT=iso01	# default font

# Floating point support - do not disable.
#
device		npx

# Serial (COM) ports
#
device		sio

# Ethernet NICs.
# 'device ed' requires 'device miibus'
#
device		miibus
device		ed

# Various devices
#
device		random		# Entropy device
device		loop		# Network loopback
device		ether		# Ethernet support
#device		ppp		# Kernel PPP
device		tun		# Packet tunnel.
device		pty		# Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device		snp		# Snoop device - to look at pty/vty/etc..
device		md		# Memory "disks"
device		speaker		# Play IBM BASIC-style noises out your speaker
#device		gzip		# Exec gzipped a.out's

# The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
#
device		bpf		#Berkeley packet filter

# Networking.
#
options		IPFILTER		#ipfilter support
options		IPFILTER_LOG		#ipfilter logging
options		IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK	#block all packets by default

# Zero copy sockets support.  This enables "zero copy" for sending and
# receving data via a socket.  The send side works for any type of NIC,
# the receive side only works for NICs that support MTUs greater than
# the page size of your architecture and that support header splitting.
# See zero_copy(9) for more details.
options		ZERO_COPY_SOCKETS

# RANDOM_IP_ID causes the ID field in IP packets to be randomized
# instead of incremented by 1 with each packet generated.  This
# option closes a minor information leak which allows remote
# observers to determine the rate of packet generation on the
# machine by watching the counter.
#
options		RANDOM_IP_ID

# IPSTEALTH enables code to support stealth forwarding (i.e., forwarding
# packets without touching the ttl).  This can be useful to hide firewalls
# from traceroute and similar tools.
#
options		IPSTEALTH		#support for stealth forwarding

# The following options add sysctl variables for controlling how certain
# TCP packets are handled.
#
# TCP_DROP_SYNFIN adds support for ignoring TCP packets with SYN+FIN. This
# prevents nmap et al. from identifying the TCP/IP stack, but breaks support
# for RFC1644 extensions and is not recommended for web servers.
#
options		TCP_DROP_SYNFIN		#drop TCP packets with SYN+FIN

# netgraph(4). Enable the base netgraph code with the NETGRAPH option.
# Individual node types can be enabled with the corresponding option
# listed below; however, this is not strictly necessary as netgraph
# will automatically load the corresponding KLD module if the node type
# is not already compiled into the kernel. Each type below has a
# corresponding man page, e.g., ng_async(8).
#
options         NETGRAPH                #netgraph(4) system
options         NETGRAPH_ETHER
options         NETGRAPH_PPPOE
options         NETGRAPH_SOCKET

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9--