Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:49:36 +1030
From:      Tim Peters <tim@lost.net.au>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        Mitch Vincent <mitch@cfact.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: group question - 15 member limit?

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 06:02:48PM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jan 29), Mitch Vincent said:
> >
> > I'm adding groups and group member via 'pw' so I'm pretty sure the
> > syntax is right.. Is there some kind of limit that would prevent my
> > www user from being in more than 15 groups?

> /sys/sys/syslimits.h sets the maximum number of groups at 16 with the
> NGROUPS parameter.  I think you can bump it and rebuild world with no
> ill effects, except possibly NFS accesses may still only see the first
> 16.  I dont know what effect bumping it up to 100 would do :)

A while ago at work we had a FreeBSD machine compiled with NGROUPS
set to 128 or 256 (Can't remember which).  No problems at all, but
we weren't using it as an NFS server.

The machine in question has since been replaced by a Redhat linux
machine, and we're not allowed to tinker with the kernel - much to
my annoyance ... But I digress :-)

-tim