Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:02:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        sfarrell+lists@farrell.org
Cc:        paulg@interlog.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Solaris/FreeBSD v2.2.5 can't talk to each other

In a previous message, sfarrell+lists@farrell.org said:
> Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com> writes:
>
> > BTW: Reinstalling Solaris is not an option.
>
> what does netstat -r say?  what about when you set out a static route
> with route(8)?

Yeah, when you pinged from ed0 to fxp0 did the counters of netstat -r
go up?

Also, when you are pinging from one, run tcpdump/snoop on the other
and see if the other end sees anything.

Also, at home my freebsd box has an SMC card in it (that's ed0, right?).
I don't use the ethernet much, since I only have one machine. But, when
I take my laptop home (Sparcbook or an HP running NT or FBSD), I have to
have the laptop up first before bringing up my home machine or the SMC
won't initialize. That's in either Win95 or FreeBSD. So try having the
Solaris box up first then reboot (hard boot) the FreeBSD box.

--
Wit is cultured insolence.  Aristotle