Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 15:59:36 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Mario Doria" <madd@tecdigital.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copy a disk using dd

Mario Doria <madd@tecdigital.net> types:
> Hi,
>
> On some machine with 2 identical disks, I want to copy everything on the
> first drive to the second drive (mirror copy). The disks are da0 and da1.
> I'm thinking of using:
>
> dd if=/dev/da0 of=/dev/da1 bs=8192
>
> Is this OK?

Yes, provided that none of the file systems on da0 are active, and
none of the ones on da1 are mounted. Doing it single user without
mounting anything or enabling swap is recommended.

I would recommend a *much* larger block size, though. At least a
half-cylinder, though if you can fit multiple cylinders memory without
swap, as many as you can fit is fine.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.