Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 2010 11:34:56 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Survey results very helpful, thanks! (was: Re: net.inet.tcp.timer_race: does anyone have a non-zero value?)

On 8 March 2010, at 06:53, Robert Watson wrote:

>=20
> On Sun, 7 Mar 2010, Robert Watson wrote:
>=20
>> If your system shows a non-zero value, please send me a *private =
e-mail* with the output of that command, plus also the output of "sysctl =
kern.smp", "uptime", and a brief description of the workload and network =
interface configuration.  For example: it's a busy 8-core web server =
with roughly X connections/second, and that has three em network =
interfaces used to load balance from an upstream source.  IPSEC is used =
for management purposes (but not bulk traffic), and there's a local =
MySQL database.
>=20
> I've now received a number of reports that confirm our suspicion that =
the race does occur, albeit very rarely, and particularly on systems =
with many cores or multiple network interfaces.  Fixing it is definitely =
on the TODO for 9.0, both to improve our ability to do multiple virtual =
network stacks, but with an appropriately scalable fix in mind given our =
improved TCP scalability for 9.0 as well.

I run a number of 4 core systems with em interfaces.  These are =
production systems that are unmanned and located a long way from me.  =
Under unusual conditions it can take up to 6 hours to get there.  I have =
been waiting to switch to 8.0 because of the discussions on the em =
device and now it sounds like I had better just skip 8.x and wait for 9. =
 7.2 is working just fine.=