Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:39:41 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

On Jul 07, 1997 at 12:45:06PM -0700, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> Jonathan Lemon wrote:

> > > 	who will volunteer for ZPG....the best educated, the most
> > > 	caring members of society or least?  would you want to live
> > > 	in a society that results from X generations of the best
> > > 	educated and most caring members of society practicing
> > > 	ZPG while the rest of society did not...not for me, thank you.
> >
> > An interesting statistic is that the most educated members of the population
> > have, as a group, less than 2 children, and thus do not contribute to the
> > population growth.  Less educated members tend to have larger families and
> > contribute more to the population growth.
>
> 	WARNING: no solid data.
>
> 	seems to me that this is a recent change.  effective, tolerable
> 	contraception is relatively recent, before that everyone had
> 	a lot of children, and many died trying.  (js bach, 25 kids?)
>
> 	the better educated may have had a higher precentage of their
> 	children survive.

Perhaps.  I'd have to dig up the research paper where I got the statistics
from and see what years the survey it was for.  However, if I recall
correctly, part of it was because the educated person was more aware of the
costs of raising a child; eg: college education, maintaining a certain living
standard, time pressures in being able to provide quality care, and so on.
They then made an informed (pragmatic?) decision about their reproduction
habits.  To the poor, on the other hand, these pressures are not equal; with
the weird welfare system that the USA has, a mother on welfare gets more money
from the gov't for having more children.  Also, as in 3rd world countries, the
larger the family is, the more people who can help or bring in income.  There,
reproduction is not so much a matter of choice as a matter of survival.

Bleah.  I really should stop reading my wife's research material.
--
Jonathan