Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 16:10:58 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dump, restore - active vs. inactive filesystem

Dear folks,

I've been trying various things with dump to familiarize myself with it. I
successfully performed a level 0 dump of the filesystem I wanted to back
up, but on restore I received errors stating that some of the files -
actually many, many, many of them - were not found on the tapes. The
filesystem in question was a 40GB vinum striped volume I use for serving
files to Windows and Mac OSX clients via Samba, mounted on /mnt/mainvol.

According to the restore man page, this was either a result of bad tape
reads or the fact the dump was performed on an active filesystem.

Now here's my question - is "active filesystem" a technical term that has a
specific meaning? Or does it just refer to any filesystem that is in use?
Neither the dump nor the restore man pages explain exactly what is meant by
"active filesystem" or "inactive filesystem," and they don't seem to
explain how to prevent this problem of files not actually being copied to
tape. (Unless I'm missing it somewhere.)

Does mounting a filesystem read-only mean it's inactive? (I suspect not.)

What exactly needs to be done to a filesystem prior to a level 0 dump to
ensure everything is backed up? In the dump man page, in the section where
the Tower of Hanoi algorithm is explained, it is implied that subsequent,
incremental backups can be performed on active filesystems without trouble.

Any help would be appreciated. Unreliable backups are bad news and I want
to make sure I understand what's going on.

Thanks!

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM