Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 1999 05:59:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more modular rc/init/uninit system...

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Wes Peters wrote:

> So, let's define some baseline wishes here, then discuss how one might
> go about implementing them.  I'll try to list what I've seen here so
> far.
>
> o The ability to start and stop individual subsystems, and start/stop
>   all dependent subsystems.
We need to distinguish between "up if possible" and "up if needed".
The generic logic starts getting more complicated. ;-(

> o The ability to specify some sort of alternate configuration name on
>   system startup, for instance to move between an ethernet and PPP
>   configuration.

Actually, more than "on startup". You should be able to move from one
environment to another at any time by changing the target. (eg run level)

> o The ability to add a package into the system configuration without
>   editing existing scripts; each package configuration file should be
>   standalone and self-contained.

I don't think that this is the requirement. What I see is the requirement
to add the package without changing the meta-scripts. The scheme could
(and, IMHO, in some cases, should) rewrite /etc/rc (or equivalent) when a
package is added. IOW, the script(s) actually executed might be the
output of a configuration generator tool. The inputs to this tool would be
tied to the individual packages.