Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 06:49:22 -0500
From:      Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT4 ISP

On Sat, Jun 14, 1997 at 11:08:56PM +0800, Victor A. Sudakov wrote:
> Tom Jackson wrote:
>
> > I have dynamic assigned address. My /etc/hosts file has only the loopback
> > address, 127.0.0.1, and nothing else (I have no ethernet card). If I use
> > anything there with my hostname, my isp will try to use that address and
> > the connection will fail.
>
> Why should he try to use that address? And how is he going to know about it,
> anyway?

Well for one reason, that is the default standard everyone starts with. You
only muck it up when you start modifying the file :)

> > This is something I wish somebody would clearup.
>
> I also have a dynamically assigned address. However, I have in my /etc/hosts
> file:
>
> 127.0.0.1		localhost
> 192.168.1.1	vas.tomsk.su vas

I think maybe you have an ethernet card, yes?

> And in my /etc/rc.local:
>
> /sbin/ifconfig lo0 inet 192.168.1.1 alias

Everything I've seen posted recommends against using this assignment. I'm
glad it works for you though.

> It works fine, I can ping vas.tomsk.su even if I am offline. It does not
> prevent me from using ppp because 192.168.1.1 is associated with lo0 and has
> nothing to do with tun0.

I'm not sure I understand this. I thought the 127 address was the loopback
address.

Tom