Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:50:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How do I kill this 'unkillable' process?

On one of my machines a user has entered a serial comm program written in C. Now
the darned thing won't go away. With ps it is marked as (i2c) issued from
terminal p1- , the minus saying that the controlling terminal is no longer there
(which is true, he has logged out), and IE meaning that the process is idle and
trying to exit, and 'ttywai' as its current activity. The parenthesis around the
progname, does that mean it has been swapped out?

I have tried killing it by id and by name (kill, killall), to no avail. Kill -1
1, did nothing to hurt it either. It just sits there blocking /dev/cuaa0 all the
time. Assuming it was waiting for something on cuaa0 I inserted a mouse there
and juggled around a while, but the process was still there.

Is there a sure way to kill processes like this? I would like the user to be able
to do it also, not requiring me to enter the root scene.

/Micke

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail