Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:48:41 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz>
To:        Dragoncrest <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with Xfree86 resolution

--5+h/aC2rZ9d7r+wS

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 09:37:23PM -0400, Dragoncrest wrote:
> 	Not sure if this is something I did, or it's a limit of the driver
> 	or the card.  But I have a Nvidia FX 5200 I'm running and I tried
> 	bumping it to 1400x1050 resolution with no luck.  Same with
> 	1600x1200.  It seems stuck at 1280x1024 resolution and I can't get
> 	it to go any higher.  Do I need to bump my monitor refresh or sync
> 	or anything like that?  I'm kinda stumped on this.  Any pointers
> 	would be welcome.  Thanks.

It could be a limitation of your monitor.  Pretty much every monitor
these days supports EDID (Extended Display Information Data??), which
means that the video drive or card card probe the monitor for it's
specs.  With this info in hand, X probably won't allow a setting that
would exceed the maximum specifications of the monitor.  You should take
a look at the X log - probably at /var/log/XFree86.0.log and you'll
messages from X about why it didn't choose a specific resolution.  Even
though it's not fully relevant these days, there is a HOWTO about 'X
Video Timings' that makes for a very interesting read over at tldp.org:

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO/index.html

Nathan

--5+h/aC2rZ9d7r+wS