Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 19:19:59 -0800
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Suggestions wanted

Hello,

at my full time job, we are trying to come up with some solutions for
our need of console ports. As one the of the directions we now looking
into PC104 or CPCI systems. Does anyone know serial cards in these
factors with at least 8 ports, preferred more, RJ45. Special connectors
could be dealth with (Front panel which breaks out to RJ45).

To describe the whole problem: So far we used Remote Annex 2000, 4000
and Bay Chassis 5000 with 5399 (24 port) as consoles in our colocations.
The Bay Chassis 5000 means 13 x 24 ports (312) in about 14U rackmount
space. Bay stopped producing these, because Intel stopped making the
cpus Xylogic/Bay were using in these.

We looked at things like PCI multiport cards, but they are all
a cludge in the form they daisy chain. Many products are not
rackmountable or have no FreeBSD drivers. We looked at products
like Digi Etherlite32, which works fine for sending data from
it to the attached serial device, but not for return traffic (it locks
up the ports).

The features we kinda look for is:

High density or in a good form distributed.
a FreeBSD platform would be nice, so we can run things like conserver and
have a backlog of console messages. A possible thing would also be
a watcher attached in readonly mode, user can then attach for interactive
usage.
a FreeBSD platform would be nice for SSH

--
Regards, Ulf.