Date:      Thu, 27 May 2004 21:04:39 +0800 (MYT)
From:      Senandung Mendonan <mendonan@absolute-p.ath.cx>
To:        Gautham Ganapathy <gauthamg123list@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD - Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: nVidia driver problem w/ FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE + mplayer

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Gautham Ganapathy wrote:

> I have installed 5.2.1-RELEASE on my system (Athlon XP/nForce 2
> Ultra/GeForce 3). Unfortunately, I am not able to use nVidia's fbsd
> drivers. I saw a few posts that mentioned it would work under fbsd-5
> although it was written for 4. Any idea on what might be the problem?

Did you install the driver via ports ( /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver ), or
did you compile yourself? The ports version have some tweaks for you to
try. I've been using the ports version (default install, no tweaking) in
FreeBSD 5.2.1 on my Dell Latitude D800 (GeForce4 4200 Go), with no
problems so far: ran mplayer occasionally with the some mpeg, avi, etc.

Got one minor gripe though: Can't get the Twinview feature working -- how
to get the display on both the laptop and a projector. (anybody got this
one working?)

Thanks.

--mendonan
"Yang mimpikan secangkir kopi panas dengan selimut.."
  (Dreaming of a cup of hot coffee, and a blanket..")