Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 18:05:01 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        William Woods <freebsd@cybcon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape issues....

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 06:58:09AM -0800, William Woods wrote:

> Not really a freebsd specific question but....
>
> I have a couple manuals on my system in .htm format that I use often, but every
> time I execute a small script I have written:
>
> netscape /usr/local/books/unixbookshelf/index.htm
>
> netscape tries to dial a connection. I have ppp set to dial on demand, but I am
> wondering is there any way to have netscape realise that these are LOCAL files
> and no network connection is required?

If you have setup up a mail or a news server in Netscape's preferences
it will try to resolve their IP address during startup.  I'm sure that
delayed DNS lookup would be better, but this ain't the only thing that
is bad about Netscape.  When I realized this, I gave up on this one too
and used lynx thereafter for quick n' dirty reading of .html :)

You can use a tcpdump on your ppp interface to see what packets are
going through when Netscape starts.  You'll see those A? requests to
port 53 of some name server going through and triggering a dial from
your running ppp.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public PGP key: finger keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr