Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 1996 09:00:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problem with AHA2940UW and ST32155

Hi everyone...

I have just got myself a new Seagate 2GB SCSI drive (2XL W Ultra) and am
having problems getting things to work with it.  This is my first foray
into the world of SCSI disks so I don't exclude the possibility of doing
something stupid.

The drive is terminated properly as far as I can tell and the controller
is configured to terminate automatically.  Since this is the only SCSI
device I have I think it should be OK.

The Adaptec SCSISelect messages on bootup suggest that the drive is
detected OK (gives model#, drive designation etc. so that part of it
looks OK.  If I boot to DOS (using my IDE disk) it seems to take too long
after the starting msdos... message but eventually I get a prompt.  This
delay also happens if I boot to my old IDE installation of FreeBSD (2.1R)
before getting the boot prompt.

If I run fdisk under DOS it hangs for a while and then returns a prompt.
fdisk /status says no fixed disks installed (even though I booted from one).

Booting to FBSD gives the following relevant dmesg lines:

ahc0 <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 11 on pci0:17
ahc0: aic7870 Ultra Wide Channel, SCSI Id=7, aic7870, 255 SCBs
ahc0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
(ahc0:0:0): "SEAGATE ST32155W 0528" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 2049MB (4197405 512 byte sectors)

If I boot FBSD from a boot.flp disk (2.1R) I get the same messages during
the boot sequence but never get to the install menu.  Looking at the
second console (Alt-F2) I see these messages:

ahc0: target 0, lun 0 (sd0) timed out
sd0(ahc0:0:0): BUS DEVICE RESET message queued
ahc0: target 0, lun 0 (sd0) timed out
ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset#1. 1 SCBs aborted

This has all got me quite confused so I would appreciate any insights you
may have.

Other relevant hardware is:

100MHz pentium PCI Triton I motherboard.
Award BIOS
Diamond Stealth 64 PCI display card.

Cheers,
Carey

Carey Nairn                     ! email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
Infrastructure Services         ! phone : (002) 20 7419
Information Technology Services ! fax   : (002) 20 7898
University of Tasmania.         !