Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 1995 02:02:19 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        ports@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Problem with LIB_DEPENDS..

 * I just put in a port that generates a static library (FWF).  Guess what.
 * LIB_DEPENDS only works for dynamic libraries! :-)  Satoshi, Heeeeelllp! :)

I know...I ran into the same problem years ago (ok, months ago) with
Wnn.

The problem is, we don't really know where the user may have installed
the library, there isn't an equivalent of "ldconfig -r" that we can
use to determine the existence of a static library.

The closest I can think of is

.if !exists(/usr/X11R6/lib/libFWF.a)
DEPENDS+=      ${PORTSDIR}/x11/FWF
.endif

which will work if the library is in the "standard" place even if the
user didn't use the port to compile/install it.

However, this won't pull the dependency list into the package if
libFWF is already installed before gmod. :<

Now on to Andrey's mail....

Satoshi