Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2018 14:45:40 +0200
From:      Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
To:        RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nvidia-driver failed after 11.1 to 11.2 update

Hi!

> I recently updated from 11.1 to 11.2 and the nvidia-driver failed to
> initialize afterwards. Switching from 'quarterly' to 'latest'  didn't
> help, but reinstalling from the port fixed it.
>
> Perhaps the 'latest' version needs to be rebuilt against a newer
> kernel, or have I done something strange?

You have not done anything wrong.

The pkg-builder boxes @FreeBSD.org for 11.x ran with 11.1, while
11.1 was still supported. Unfortunatly, 11.1-build packages
for kernel drivers do not always work on 11.2.

On the 1st of October, 11.1 expired. The pkg-builder
machines will run 11.2 for the next build of ports. Then the
normal pkg binaries will work with 11.2.

--
pi@FreeBSD.org         +49 171 3101372              2 years to go !