Date:      Sun, 02 Aug 2009 13:54:10 +0100
From:      Martin Smith <mjs@rakupottery.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & IBM Thinkpad - What Model to Choose?

herbert langhans wrote:
> Hi Daemons,
> I bet there are FreeBSD-on-Thinkpad users out there. I need some help..
>
> At the moment I search for a laptop, a used model from auction sites, preferably an IBM Thinkpad. There is a huge number of different models, even a Wiki with all the specs. But all the info doesn't help me to decide what model works best for me with FreeBSD. I also have no idea if the BSD drivers work out of the box. No dual boot required - I'll dump the Windows stuff.
>
> The model I search for is a cheap low-end type. Small harddisk is fine too, it even can be slow - I use mostly vim, fluxbox, a few small gtk-ports and even get by with a text browser like lynx.
>
> Otherwise I would really reqire the Thinkpad to be slim and have some kind of low power consumption (this depends on the kind of processor I guess - I have no clue what processor is a good choice). And an opportunity to use a PCMCIA-Card for a Wifi connection (and drivers for them!).
>
> Do you have any good/bad experiences with certain IBM Thinkpads?
> Is there any special model (line) I should look for?
> Are there any options I should look for or avoid (no BSD drivers available i.e)?

I run stable and current on an X23, which is abt 866Mhz P3 with 640Mb ram,
it is remarkably fast for it's spec, it will run gnome but is best with
windowmaker.
Also very easy to swap the hd over, takes just over one minute.
It has one pcmcia slot in which I have a TP-LINK cheapo atheros based
wireless card,
works very well on stable, not with current, but I still expect it to
eventually.
Highly recommended.

--
Martin