Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 00:48:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.*-stable sysinstall ... custom dist problems

I'm having sysinstall problems.

I used to be able to do this, and I can't seem to anymore.  I was wondering
if anyone could verify my theory.

For a long time, I've rolled custom distributions and .tar.gz'd them, put
them into bin.aa, did a cksum and patched bin.inf, and simply used
sysinstall to pop them onto a system.

I seem to be unable to get this to work, now, under 4.0.  It's worse because
I'm trying to do it on a laptop, and every iteration of try-something-else
takes quite a bit of typing to set up (plus forgotten things that scrap a
given boot).  I thought it was just my laptop, until I decided to see if it
would go and install a standard load - and it did.

Pieces =  1
cksum.aa = 1770647625 465713122

is what I'm trying to load.

I experimented a bit and it seems to me that maybe there's about a 300K
chunk size limit now, which really sucks because splitting that distro up
with split ends up with "too many pieces".

Is there, in fact, a chunk size limit now?

Obviously I can work around this, but it's inconvenient and unfortunate
if so.  :-/

Thanks for any hints,
--
... Joe